Cheese Straws Recipe

Cheese Straws - When cheese straws taste this good, keeping a supply in the cupboard is virtually impossible. Lots of sharp cheddar, wholesome ingredients, and talent - that's what it takes to create these homemade crunchy munchies. Whether you go for the traditional flavor or the spicy hot variety, each cheesy bite brings you back for another. Pretty soon, you'll be wondering where they all went.

I recently discovered these Cheese Straws. I have been looking for a long time for some that had great flavor and were not over cooked. No other brand compares to these. I tried the Jelepeno Cheddar Cheese flavor, too. I went back to the store and bought 3 more boxes. 

I love these cheese straws and I buy them for my own home and give as gifts to friends from other parts of the country. They adore them as well and ask when I will send them again.

Cheese straws are like deviled eggs--every Southern cook wants to make great ones. Here we’ve pulled together a couple of our all-time favorites, which can be served as appetizers, picnic snacks, or simple afternoon pick-me-ups. We’ve updated this classic by incorporating different types of cheese, ground spices, and nuts. These recipes pair well with soups or salads, whether you prefer wafers cut into round or square slices or you choose to put the dough through a cookie press to make the traditional straws. They can also go solo with a glass of Champagne or beer. No matter the shape, that’s an idea worth toasting.

Cheese Straws Recipe
Cheese Straws


Ingredients:

  • Puff pastry sheet (375g)
  • 2 tablespoons of English mustard
  • Ground black pepper
  • 100g extra mature cheddar (any cheddar will do)
  • 1 beaten egg

How To Make A Cheese Straws: 

  1. Lay out the puff pastry sheet. I kept mine on the paper when I rolled it out. I regularly make my own pastry but sometimes I just want to make something nice in a hurry.
  2. Spread over the mustard. Grind black pepper over the top. You could leave this out if you don’t like pepper.
  3. Spread on the cheese. Pat the cheese down gently so that it sticks to the mustard and doesn’t fall off once you start making the twists.
  4. Slice the puff pastry. I made around 22 straws from 375g of pastry but could have easily made a few more.
  5. Take each slice, twist 5 or 6 times and then place down onto a baking sheet. I used pizza trays lined with baking tray liners, just for convenience and because they were going to need a clean anyway.
  6. Place the cheese straws into the fridge for 45-60 minutes or into the freezer for around 10-15 minutes. This helps the twists keep their shape when they go into the oven.
  7. Once chilled wash the straws with a beaten egg. This will help them go golden brown in the oven.
  8. Place into a 220C oven for around 18-20 minutes. My straws that are a little well done were in for 22 minutes but my oven can be temperamental!


Article "Cheese Straws Recipe" protected
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post